Sunday, December 30, 2012

Deb Grey's memoir of a motorcycle life

This is an edited excerpt from a speech given Aug. 21, 2009, by Deborah Grey, former MP and Order of Canada recipient, to the American Motorcyclist Association's International Women and Motorcycling Conference in Keystone, Col.

Her keynote was a highlight of the International Street Party, organized by the Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada.
The MCC is a national advocacy organization committed to uniting motorcyclists and to promoting, protecting and preserving motorcycling.
We are extraordinary women. In riding motorcycles, we have learned to do something that only a very small percentage of the female population has done.
So, whatever we fear, we can face it, then forget it – put it behind us, and move on.
Here's my RIDE: Relatives. Instructor. Dared to run. Exit stage right.
Relatives – My father was an alcoholic; my mother raised five kids single-handedly in Vancouver in the '60s. I spent time on my little bicycle, thinking, talking, screaming, praying, and forgiving.
I could ride it off and ride it out. My sister had a friend who took me for a ride on his motorcycle when I was 13, and I was hooked for life. This is my 42nd season of safe, trouble-free miles.
Instructor – I moved from Vancouver to north-eastern Alberta to teach at Frog Lake Reserve. Instead of being just a teacher, I became a learner, and had my Grade 4 students teach me how to fish with my bare hands. I had lots of challenges, and faced them by going for long motorcycle rides: thinking, talking, screaming, singing, praying. Whatever the fear or challenge, I could ride it off and ride it out.
Dared to run – After teaching for 10 years, a neighbour dared me to run for the new Reform Party. I was terrified; I knew nothing of politics and wondered how I had ever won. Six months later, I looked across the aisle in Parliament and wondered how they had ever won!
I learned to face my fears and deal with issues and the media directly, relying on my gut for wisdom. The most valuable lesson I learned in my political career is that "not all of your colleagues will be your friends." Learn it now and learn it well.
My bike became my safe place: thinking, talking, screaming, singing, praying. No matter what, I could ride it off and ride it out.
Exit Stage Right – After 15 years, I felt it was time for a new chapter. I faced the fear of not knowing what I could do now.
I feared it, faced it and then forgot it.
I went out at the top of my game and did not look back. I have no regrets. I have more time for riding, doing charity rides, being home with my husband. When I get scared, or frustrated, or discouraged, I ride my motorcycle: to think, to talk, to scream, to sing, to pray. I can ride it off and ride it out.
How about you? Any regrets? Quit your job if you hate it – you're not fooling anyone. Quit the toxic relationship if you have tried to make it work, but it is sucking the very life out of you. Re-connect with someone, make a call, send a card.
Somebody mentored you – now you go and mentor somebody else, whether it is riding, responsibilities, retirement or relationships. Be a bridge builder. Live your life forward so you never regret it backward.